Welcome Message

Feel free to contact us in case you want to contribute posts to this blog in exchange of credentials.

Negative marketing in Travel Industry

0

Posted on : 10:53 AM | By : Tornado_strikes | In :

Today Market born is feeling like bashing some one up. No don’t worry I don’t have anything against you. (Unless you are one of those shame faced idiots I am going to mention) This is about the travel industry. I have been in the industry for two years now. Ever since I came to New Delhi looking for a change of air and job I have been in travel domain. I personally feel being an IT consultant in Travel field is just a wow position. Whatever; lets get down to this violent mood of mine today.

I like Delhi; well actually I love it. So it kind of brings my blood to boil when I see some people trying to tarnish its image. Take tomorrow’s case example. As I got down from the Rama Krishna Ashram Marg Metro, and walked towards my office, I noticed a young foreign couple trailing me. I let them overtake me on the pavement. After a couple of minutes a dark guy with somewhat formal attire that looked marginally beyond his wardrobe expenses approached them from behind. First he crossed them and went some 10 paces ahead. Then he slowed down and addressed the couple very cordially with broken English that matched his look and attitude. I could hear every word of their conversation. Now the dark guy enquired about the well being of the couple and where did the hail form. His communication skills were to a level where two human beings can understand each other barely. Next this guy asks them about their plans in Delhi and what all places have they visited in Delhi. He found out where they were staying and all basic information like these.

I was by then almost at my office but I called and informed that I will be late by an hour probably. Thus I decided to be a stalker for some time. By this time our foreign couple was getting slightly annoyed and this dark guy had switched to marketing mode form passerby mode. He was now offering tour packages to Agra and Jaipur. The white guy from our foreign couple then planned a diversionary tactics to avoid this dark Indian guy. He said they have to go the other way. But look at the guts of the shameless marketer; he was forcing them (verbally) to come with them to his office. He was insisting that they also change the hotel as the current one was “not good”. Finally the marketing became harassment. The voices rose on both sides. I was then shocked when this guy finally told the couple that “if you not come – then it will be bad”. Now this was enough and I could not take it any more. I asked back “How bad will it be?” First he was little taken aback with my intervention though he knew very well I had been following them. He threatened me to stay away out of this. I saw a traffic police guy ahead and called him over to which Mr Dark guy scampered cursing me.
The foreign couple thanked me for the help. I told them to be a little stronger while dealing with people like this. This is normal story happening every other minute in every major city of India. The department of tourism has been doing very little to stop this menace. I have seen one add till date to highlight this issue. Without strong implementation of rules against such marketing tactics that we call “lapka trade” in Delhi there is gong to be no good in the hospitality sector. In a situation like the above if you need help about travel information in India look for decent people who going about their normal lives or just use your smartphone to find the information online.

Share this :

  • Stumble upon
  • twitter

Comments (0)

Post a Comment